Make up your fucking mind

Elsie C. Jordet and Robert Lloyd Wilkinson, Sr., the child's natural father, who was objector below and who brings this appeal, were married in Chicago, Illinois, on November 1, 1945. The child Robert Lloyd Wilkinson, Jr., was born as the issue of this marriage on November 9, 1947. They moved to Rockford, Illinois, in 1948 where they acquired and furnished a home. In March or April 1949, Elsie abandoned her home and child and remained away for approximately two years. During her absence her husband cared for and raised the child until it had reached the age of 2 1/2 years, the abandonment having occurred when the child was nine months old. The father had the aid of Elsie's sister and her mother in caring for the child. During this time Elsie frequently visited the child.

The Wilkinsons were divorced in 1950, the court awarding the custody of the child to the father. He thereafter remarried, but in 1952 he was divorced from his second wife and remarried Elsie. A short time after their second marriage they were again divorced, this time in an uncontested proceeding, Elsie being granted the divorce and custody of the child and Robert, Sr., being granted certain rights of visitation. The second marriage of Robert, Sr., to Elsie was of short duration; they only lived together for about a month. He left her on this occasion and after the divorce he remarried his second wife, who had a child by a prior marriage, which child he later adopted. Robert, Sr., has therefore been married four times, twice to Elsie and twice to his present wife.

2 comments:

Lance Ito said...

Two questions: 1) if you remarry the same person do you still owe them alimony? (I'm guessing probably not) and 2) If you divorce the same person twice (I'm assuming there was no prenup) do they get 1/2 twice (1/2 for the first marriage and then 1/2 of his 1/2 for the second marriage)?

Christian said...

I just want to know how that conversation went:

"Honey, I know that I divorced you for my ex-wife, but I really think I made a mistake again. You're the one for me. This week. And if I don't stick around, you know I'll always be back for a third time around..."