Another Reason [not?] to have children...

This has been a recent debate in the Ito household... When I first was dating/engaged, my wife and I had decided we would have 2 children and then likely adopt another for a grand total of 3. However, since then I have had quite the change of heart, now children anywhere (at parties or at the law school) send me into convulsions and I constantly mutter under my breath, DAMN KIDS!!! It's like I have turned into a grumpy old man who can't be bothered by the kids constantly leaving flaming bags of poo on his front door step.

However this reminds me of a story that my old boss once told me...ladies pay attention. My old boss was a real smart guy he had a PhD and his wife was an MD. As smart as I thought he was, he always told me his wife was waaaaay smarter than him. That was before they had children. Now his wife tells him that as she has more children (they now have two) she seems to be losing her ability to remember things and in general seems to be less intelligent then she was before she began reproducing. His response to me was "if you marry a woman smarter then you, get her pregant, it seems to dull both the wit and the intelligence. If I have a few more kids maybe I will finally be smarter than her." Moral of the story- Having babies makes you stupid.

Of course being good lawyers that we are, we need to find the counterargument. My wife put it very eloquently when we were debating the merits of child bearing. She told me this, "Most of the people we hang out with are really smart [either in Law School or in a PhD program, but the very least all of our friends are college graduates] and if all the smart people stop reproducing then what are we going to be left with: a world filled with stupid people reproducing at a very high rate [think poor white trash or ghetto fabulous individuals who have enough children to field a baseball team]. Is this what we really want the future to be? The smart people need to reproduce in order to prevent the "meek from inheriting the Earth." So there you have it...smart people do need to reproduce in order to prevent the "dumbification" of America.

Discuss...

1 comment:

Litoralis said...

Take it from me as a law student who has succesfully reproduced (during law school if you can believe it); it is all worth it. My daughter is so much fun to come home to after class.